The island of Murano is one of seven main islands of Venice, its history is closely linked production and processing of craftsmanship blown glass. In 1295 the city has decreed to transfer to a place more suitable the furnaces that producing glass because as more than once they were the cause of very serious fires in the city.
Concentrating the glassworks in Murano served the Serenissima to better control the activity, Venice was jealous of an art that made it famous all over the world from the beginning. The glassmakers were forced to live in the island and they couldn't leave Venice without a special permit. Many glassmaker, however, managed to escape abroad by exporting their famous techniques.
As the sister Murano Burano is one of the major islands of the lagoon, its history is tied to the art of lace and for its typical brightly colored houses, although the reason and origin of this custom isn't yet clear . One hypothesis suggests that each color is simply the symbol of a given household, since even today there are few Burano but very common surnames.
For this reason, Burano, as elsewhere in the Veneto region, using nicknames added the surname to distinguish a second branch of the family.
A curiosity: The only church that stands on the island is San Martin. Its famous bell tower, characterized by steep due to the partial collapse of its pedestals, based, as some parts of Venice, on stilts.
The smaller of the largest islands of the lagoon is now uninhabited, even if it remains unchanged the ancient glories of the past, because here more than in other Venetian islands there is the Byzantine influence. However, the closer to the city and the unhealthy environment have contributed to depopulate. Following dell'inarrestabile decline, the buildings went into disrepair or were dismantled to provide bricks and building material for building development in Venice.